Welcome to the Jamestown Palace
Culled from “The Ga of Ghana: History and Culture of a West African People, 2001” by David K. Henderson-Quartey, 2001
The town of Alata grew as an adjunct to James Fort hence the English called it James Town after King James II of England. It is called Alata by the Ga as the people who first settled in the vicinity of the Fort were employees and slaves of the English trading company who were reputed to have been brought from the Allada area of the Bight of Benin and formerly referred to as the Slave Coast. The beginning of the town could be dated from 1672, the year in which the fort was built. European writers in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries have referred to the area as “Soko village”. The Fort was built on a large rocky head which projects into the sea.